Outside SS Crocs and shoes drawer!

desktoproverdesktoprover Posts: 223Member
edited April 2016 in Tips & Tricks
Hello everyone,
since we traded our T@B for a SS and we don't have a side awning anymore, I was trying to find a solution to keep our shoes dry when it was raining.  There it is, an outside drawer for the shoes!  I used two aluminium U bar for the rails and two Sterilite storage bin.  It works like a charm!  We should have nice dry shoes for the entire camping season!  And yes, we will remove the drawers on the road.  I carefully positioned them so that they stay accessible while we sit in the door.

Sylvain :)

Rimouski, Canada 
2014 5x10 SS (previously a 2008 T@B)
www.sylvainrioux.zenfolio.com

Comments

• PattiPatti Posts: 591Member
    That is AWESOME!  How clever!

I assume you have said elsewhere why you switched from T@B to SS. Want to link to it, or repeat? I hadn't noticed you were going that and am curious, since we're making the choice between the two right now.
  • BigshowskipperBigshowskipper Posts: 85Member
    Okay. I have seen a lot of creative mods but those shoe drawers have got to be in the top three. Simplicity, low cost and usefulness are the heart of the teardrop "spirit" in my humble opinion. Those drawers are a home run. Looks like I'm headed to Home Depot to copy your design. Much better than trying to balance my shoes on the round fender. 

Please post more mods for me to copy. 
    Rob and Sally Gilbert, AZ 2014 T@G Bear Down, Go CATS
  • desktoproverdesktoprover Posts: 223Member
    Thanks Patti!

The main reason why we switched is that we wanted an outside kitchen and a lighter trailer.  The SS will also fit easily in a garage with a 7 foot door.  Our T@B was made by Thor/Dutchmen, not LG.  The quality was no more than average. 

Rimouski, Canada 
    Thanks Rob :)
    Rimouski, Canada 
  • grnH3grnH3 Posts: 126Member
    Brilliant!
    Jen
    '14 SS 6x10 
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
  • jaschultejaschulte Posts: 225Member
    Brilliant indeed!
    Julie (and Dan, but he never posts here), Wheaton, IL
  • studioteardropstudioteardrop Posts: 66Member
    For us handyman challenged can you give more detailed instructions. ex. How do you connect the bar to the underside of the trailer? I love this idea!
    Russ & Shelly :: "Silver Surfer" :: Evergreen, Colorado
    2013 6x10 Silver Shadow
    I sure can Ross!  If you can wait until tomorrow (I'm in the couch listening to a film right now!) I'll post detailed photos of the installation.

Rimouski, Canada 
  • phrelcophrelco Posts: 369Member
    That is a truly clever idea. Can't wait to see your detailed install directions!
    Andy
    San Marcos, California
    5x10 Silver Shadow, the "Road Toad"
    TV: 2006 Nissan Xterra 4x4

Romans 1:20
  • LOLALOLA Posts: 202Member
    Very clever! we have used those same bins and just put the top on and tossed under the trailer. It was hard to retrieve them if it was raining or we put them too far under.
    I too would love to see the install pictures and what you used and where you attached it.
    Thank you for the solid solution.
    Debby and Michael 2005 Honda Element and 2014 5x10 SS LE
  • JhnRJhnR Posts: 143Member
    This is one of those "ahh" moments. Very good thinking. I can see adding another for rain gear. Beautiful...

John and Einstein

2015 T@G MAX

Mt. Washington Valley, NH

• drown1nowdrown1now Posts: 7Member
    I'm very interested in doing this mod to my 2016 T@G...I looked today at the local big box store and had no luck finding the U channel.

Where did you get your aluminum channels? What is there original, manufactured intention?

No one at the big orange store really had any idea where or what department to look in. Any guidance would be AWESOME! 

Tim

If you're never tested, you'll never define your character. - 2.13.61
  • grnH3grnH3 Posts: 126Member
    I normally find aluminum u channel and flat bat in the wood moulding sections, end of aisle.
    Jen
    '14 SS 6x10 
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
  • DaveyBDaveyB Posts: 392Member
    Also go on line to McMaster Carr. They have everything. Search u channel on their search. 
    Dave
    Mokena, ILL.
    2013  LG 5 wide towed with 2013 Subaru Outback
  • rbtraryrbtrary Posts: 61Member
    I cut the u channels at 45 degree angles sloping back at the door so as to eliminate the sharp edge and prevent snagging clothing or possible cut on the leg.  This also eliminated the need to drill the bottom rail hole for access to the self drilling screw head.
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Posts: 242Member

CAUTION:  Please remember to wear safety goggles when drilling, especially overhead.  I had to make a trip to the emergency room to have a sliver of metal dug out of my eyeball once upon a time for failing to do so.

BTW, very clever mod.

Larry & Booger (My dog)

2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

HAPPY TRAILS Y'ALL

• SkyLarkSkyLark Posts: 110Member
    Penny
    Fort Collins, CO
    2015 ¾ T@G MAX
    TV: 2009 Hyundai Sante Fe

• gymngymn Posts: 8Member
    Jim and Karyl
    Kannapolis, NC
    2015 5x10 Silver Shadow Limited Edition
    drown1now said:
    I'm very interested in doing this mod to my 2016 T@G...I looked today at the local big box store and had no luck finding the U channel.

Where did you get your aluminum channels? What is there original, manufactured intention?

No one at the big orange store really had any idea where or what department to look in. Any guidance would be AWESOME! 

Tim

Hello Tim,
    I bought the U channel in a metal shop.  That's the best and cheapest place for metal pieces.  Hardware store like Home Depot often have different metal channels and rods.   In Canada there is also Canadian Tire.  Good luck!
    Rimouski, Canada 

rbtrary said:
    I cut the u channels at 45 degree angles sloping back at the door so as to eliminate the sharp edge and prevent snagging clothing or possible cut on the leg.  This also eliminated the need to drill the bottom rail hole for access to the self drilling screw head.
    Good idea!
    Rimouski, Canada 
  • GregorioGregorio Posts: 1,798Moderator
    I, too, think this is a great idea, but what about mud, dirt, and gravel that will ultimately accumulate in the U-bars? It'll work fine if you stay on paved roads, but you better have a way of clearing the U-bars of debris in order to get the drawers moving in and out.  Still...GREAT IDEA!
    Greg
    Spokane, WA
    2011 6-Wide Sport
    I think this shouldn't be much of a problem unless you do a lot of dirt and gravel road.  I'm sure a simple clean up with a garden hose would do the job :)
    Rimouski, Canada 
  • JhnRJhnR Posts: 143Member

I installed the rails far enough forward so I can sit and remove my shoes comfortably. Thanks again for the brilliant idea.

John and Einstein

2015 T@G MAX

Mt. Washington Valley, NH

This is great John!  Thanks for sharing a photo of your installation.
    Rimouski, Canada 
    That's exactly what we do.  We place them on the bed with shoes and other stuff in them while traveling.  Once at camp we slide them on the tracks!
    Rimouski, Canada 
  • drown1nowdrown1now Posts: 7Member
    Thanks, guys, for all the help! Hoping to get this done this weekend...the wife and I are heading to Key West in a week, and want our shoes high and dry! 

If this was offered by my local dealer as an option, I'd have bought it.
    If you're never tested, you'll never define your character. - 2.13.61
  • Bill_in_TulsaBill_in_Tulsa Posts: 235Member
    Great mod... thank you.
    Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    2016 Silver Shadow 5x10 ~ TV 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE van.
    "Find the Magic in a Teardrop Trailer"
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • OldbikerOldbiker Posts: 256Member
    I just throw my crock under the back of the tralier & shake them out of the morning. I use a man's jug for the bathroom breaks @ night so shoes are not a concern. I like the KISS method.

Robert
  • DHostetterDHostetter Posts: 56Member
    Forgot to send a thank you out for this suggestion. Love it. We had to modify ours a bit for our Rough Rider. I didn't want to drill into the skid plate so we used 3 strong magnets on each rail and attach that assembly to the skid plate. So far it has worked great. :-)
    Darin Hostetter, Terre Haute, IN | 2015 Little Guy Rough Rider, the "H.O.S.S." | 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
  • whitewaterwhitewater Posts: 35Member
    edited April 2016
    Anyone know of any bars that are pre-drilled?

I put these mats under my doors so you can actually put your feet on the ground while taking off shoes....

Plastic outdoor mats that are cheap and look great!
    2015 T@G Max aka. "the Spooner", towed by 2012 Subaru Outback
    plus a fleet of whitewater adventure crafts.....
  • ByronByron Posts: 12Member
    Great idea.
  • TanKTanK Posts: 2Member
    I just have to add our thanks for this wonderful idea and for sharing the process! This modification to our T@G is fantastic! We were in severe weather in Florida last week and though the site turned into a river for a bit, our shoes stayed dry!! Thanks so much!
    2015 T@G and Venza
  • bkrlaurabkrlaura Posts: 85Member
    Desktoprover ... why do you prefer having the kitchen outside?  I may upgrade to a T@B someday and the reason would be for an indoor kitchen.  I camp alone a lot and sometimes feel like I being watched while cooking which I really don't like.  Maybe it's just something I need to get over.  Sorry to divert from your clever storage idea - love it!!

Laura

2015 T@G Basic
    T/V 2009 Subaru Outback

• TeardropinitTeardropinit Posts: 142Member
    Hi! I know off topic form the great post/tip!  

But I have to say for us - we totally prefer the outdoor kitchen!  We custom designed our galley even!  We can take advantage of custom pull outs I designed, so we increase counter space as needed!  And since we are only limited by the outdoors....we have plenty of room to have two cooking....or dozens of guests to go through a buffet line to eat! We end up with a lot of space (storage and counter)....much more than several larger RVs. We take a lot of gear....but I like to be totally organized and it all to have a space and never be in the way of something else....so we can just close galley and go and just stop anywhere on the road and pop open the galley and cook without anything having to be moved or setup!  For us the kitchen and storage is far to small for our needs/cooking gear/camping gear in a T@B.  Plus, we like to be outside, enjoying the outdoors and with our family and friends....and not inside way from them during meal prep! It is just all personal preference!  That is what is great about so many LG options!

I do have to say, as a long time teardrop camping family of 4....it was nice to hear a case of someone going from a T@B to a SS (when we recently heard it the other way!)  I like the outdoor kitchen, lower profile, garage storage.....!  I've studied/looked at a lot of trailers, before we bought our first one almost 14 years ago, and then had a custom SS built two years ago!  It is great when you find the right fit!

Happy Camping!

2015 6x10 SS with Stove/Fridge-Freezer/Bunk 
    Family of 4 TearDropInIt for 15+ years!
  • bkrlaurabkrlaura Posts: 85Member
    Thanks so much ... Teardropinit.  I had a suspicion the kitchen might feel cramped in a T@B.  I agree that you can really spread out with the galley outdoors.  And, it's nice to be outside ... since that's what camping is all about!  You have reduced my T@B envy.  Yes, Happy Camping!!

Laura

2015 T@G Basic
    T/V 2009 Subaru Outback

• gr8capegr8cape Posts: 41Member
    Great idea!  The first night we took our SS camping it absolutely poured.  My husband asked me what we were going to do with our shoes and I didn't have a clue.  We ended up wrapping them in the plastic storage bags we brought the food in and putting them at our feet for the evening.  This drawer would work much better!
    Lisa from Leavittsburg, Ohio (near Cleveland)- 2014 Blue Silver Shadow Limited Edition 5x10 towed by a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel truck.  

• WildcatWildcat Posts: 166Member
    edited July 2016
    2016 Five Wide Rough Rider/Xterra Off Road six speed
    West side of Oregon.