Adding Electric Brakes to Little Guy

benatkbenatk Posts: 55Member

I am thinking of having some electric brakes put on my trailer.  I know that I need 2 -10 inch wheel assemblies, 2-hub and drum assemblies, 8- lock washers and nuts, a break-away kit and some 10-guage wire for the harness.  Is there anything else that I would need to put these brakes on?  Please help.

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• Lisa33Lisa33 Posts: 1,396Member
    Presumably you have a tow vehicle with a brake controller? If not, this is a good option: http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90250-Prodigy-Electronic-Control/dp/B001P0ZA86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351857926&sr=8-1&keywords=prodigy+brake+controller+wireless As far as the brakes themselves, I don't know. On a related front, I don't know why LG doesn't use surge brakes on the LGs like those used on the T@B. Surge brakes are hydraulic and don't require a controller. Seems like it would be a better solution for trailers that are often towed by vehicles that don't have a brake controller in them. :) Lisa
    Southeastern PA 2008 T@DA (and, previously a 2012 6x10 SIlver Shadow)
  • I talked to someone at the little guy factory a few days ago. I am adding electric brakes to my 5 wide as well. They said that when they have installed them at the factory, they have always used 7" not 10" brakes. I ordered a prodigy 2 brake controller. I am not sure how to determine which drums and hubs to order. I thought I would install the brake controller myself and then take the trailer to a shop and have them figure out which hubs and brakes to get, though if I knew which to order, I would do it myself.
    Mark
    Mark Danville,KY 2012 5 Wide Little Guy
  • benatkbenatk Posts: 55Member

I already have a brake controller, so that's no problem.  The hydraulic brakes are fine, but I'm use to electric from the larger trailers I've had.

The part about someone at the LG factory telling Mark to use 7 inch vice 10 inch is a bit disturbing also.  I spoke to someone at the factory and they told me 10 inch.  Are the brake on the 5 wides different than the 6 wides or did one of us get a bad answer.  Also, the guy I spoke to didn't seem to really know much about them.  He said that they ordered the axels with the brakes already on them for people that ordered them with brakes.

I sent Mike a message telling him what I was trying to get out of them, so I'm sure I'll get the right info soon.

Ben

I figured it out after a lot of on-line work!  Mark, find out what axel you have.  If it is a Al-Ko, and you have a S-19 or SF19 axel, you need 7 inch electric brakes.  If you have the U-19, U-29 (what I have) or U-35 axel, you will need 10 inch electric brakes.  Also, from looking at some of the state laws, you will have to have a breakaway switch also.  The Al-ko site (http://www.al-kousa.com/prod_rubsus.htm) helped me figure it out.  If your trailer is new enough that the sticker is still on the axel, you'll find one of those numbers listed above somewhere on there.

So far, etrailer.com seems to have the best price for the whole shooting match.  Mike, thanks for your asistance also.

Ben

• Thanks Ben My new 2013 5 wide does have a SF-19. I got a booklet with the trailer that lists the part and bearing numbers and it looks like the dexter 7" hub/drum uses the same bearings and is comparable with the 7" electric brakes from etrailer. The only thing I have to determine is if my spindle is ez lube or regular. Thanks for the help. Mark

Look at the end of the spindle and see if there is a lube point there.  If there is, then it's and ez lube.

Ben

• Ben
    . I took the wheel off and sure enough, it is ez lube. I ordered the stuff I need from etrailer. thanks for your help.
    Mark

Hey, I may not be able to help much, but I help when I can.  You are more than welcome.  I found one other thing out this afternoon, they put junction boxes in the trailers.  I was thinking of just running the wire all the way up to the plug and when I looked at the plug, there was no screw on it to get it off.  I followed it back and found a junction box.  Don't know how long they have been using those, but all the other trailers I played with, you just wired into the plug.  Guess I'm getting old, lol.  Good luck to you.

Ben

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 6,106Administrator, Moderator
    Ben,

To my knowledge they do use junction boxes on all of their trailers and it is just back and beneath the frame on the right side of the front portion of the trailer.   

I also received an e-mail from Ed Kauffman yesterday regarding your request for trailer brake information as follows:

Sure….have him email me directly.

Alternatively, have him email joe mullet at joe@pleasantvalleytrailers.com

Thanks

Edward Kauffman

Parts & Warranty Dept.

Pleasant Valley Trailers

The Home of The TAB

754 Edelweiss Rd. NW

Sugarcreek, Ohio 44681

Office 330-852-4820

Fax 330-852-7065

Hours M-F

6:00 to 3:00 
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image

Mike,

Thanks for the help.  I guess I will start using e-mails from now on when I have a question.  I am suppose to get my brakes in tomorrow from Etrailer.com, so hopefully, I can install them soon.  From the looks of the junction box, it looks like a Hidden Hitch box, which I found a wiring diagram for.  I'm going to double check that also tomorrow.  That said, I really do appreciate the help and I think everyone else here does also.

Safe trips,

Ben

Yeah!  Managed to put my brakes on today :O).  Didn't have any problems with it until it came to wiring up the breakaway switch.  Somehow, I was looking at the wrong diagram.  Once I got the right diagram, no problems.  The only thing left to do is get the mechanic to check the adjustment (better to play it safe) and that's it.  Took all day, but it was worth it.

Safe Trips,

Ben

• Lisa33Lisa33 Posts: 1,396Member
    Congrats, Ben!! :). Nothing like that sense of accomplishment.
    Southeastern PA 2008 T@DA (and, previously a 2012 6x10 SIlver Shadow)
  • Ben I got my brakes on and completed the wiring. I am using a prodigy 2 controller. I adjusted the brakes according to etrailer (adjust tight and then 10 clicks back) the prodigy manual says to adjust the controller by activating the manual lever at 25 mph and adjusting the prodigy until the wheels lockup and then back off. Mine never seem to lock up no matter how high I set the prodigy, though I can feel the trailer braking. What do you think? Thanks Mark
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 6,106Administrator, Moderator
    Mark check this out.....  Prodigy Brake Controller
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
  • Mark_from_KentuckyMark_from_Kentucky Posts: 10Member
    edited November 2012
    Thanks, Mike I had seen the video, but not the question and answer. Maybe backing off the brake adjustment 10 clicks is too much in this case. I do feel the brakes working on the trailer. I am confident of a smooth, sure emergency stop if needed. Thanks Mark