Glamping

Lisa33Lisa33 Posts: 1,452Member
edited June 2012 in Trips & Pics
I was informed by a friend that what I do is not camping, but "glamping". I had never heard the term. Funny!

http://www.casasugar.com/Glamping-Options-Include-Yurts-Airstreams-Teardrop-Trailers-10153822?slide=0

:) Lisa

Southeastern PA 2008 T@DA (and, previously a 2012 6x10 SIlver Shadow)

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 6,362Administrator, Moderator
    That's actually a pretty cute term!  I laughed!   
    :D

Mike

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
  • SusieQSusieQ Posts: 1,960Member
    LOL.  That's funny.  But I never thought of it like that.  Now carrying a 30ft motor home with all the luxuries of home, that's not camping.  I honestly was an anti-camper until recently.  Roughing it after hurricanes made me not want to rough if it if I didn't have to.  And camping in our family meant taking a tent out in the woods with no creature comforts.  I had never camped at a campground until about three years ago and then I caught the bug.  Yeah, maybe Glamping is appropriate.

Susie
    SusieQ
    Charlottesville, VA

• TraxTrax Posts: 151Member
    Especially given that so many of us are boondocking out there much of the time, it's hard to see how what we all do in taking our teardrops out as anything BUT camping.   My spouse won't go with me, even now that I have the teardrop, because she hates camping and says the teardrop is still too much camping and not enough comfort.  But one of the things we (teardrop people) all share, I think, is our love of the outdoors and actually spending more time outside than inside.  It's why so many of us camped in tents for years and why we don't have 30-foot RVs now. To me, going out there in a teardrop is still camping. Do I sound defensive? :>)

Cindy

2013 T@B (previously owned 5x10 Silver Shadow)

Northern California

I have the plainest of plain LG.  I don't consider it glamorous.  Even at campgrounds, our favorite sites are often primitive.  But given the fact that I do have TV and heat and a bucket potty, I feel like I'm living in luxury in the woods. 

My previous camping experience for fun was camping on primitive barrier islands in the Gulf.  So, I'm not a glam girl but I'm comfortable. 

SusieQ

SusieQ
    Charlottesville, VA

Comfort is a relative thing. Just ask my spouse!

Cindy

Northern California

I always feel a notch or two above tent camping as I am not sleeping on the ground, no tent to set up and everything goes with me and stows away easily in my LG or in the toolbox on the front.   I've also got an inverter installed for 120 volts, a solar panel, 12 volt system and TV/DVD player that allows for primitive and RV camp set-ups.  I've had my trailer up the California coast, driven down the Avenue of the Giants, eaten my lunch with the sounds of the surf crashing and sunshine and warmth.  Bottom line, it felt like a million dollars and I know that there were people nearby who were impressed and wishing they had one too.  

When you consider the scenic beauty, sense of adventure and pristine feeling you get when you are out in the wilderness nothing can touch it!   I'll swap that for a stuffy motel room any day as the freedom you feel is worth every minute in a Little Guy.  That's what I feel and it's often electric.

Mike
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
  • RangerVicRangerVic Posts: 113Member
    Hey, SusieQ, I bet my plain LG beats your plain LG!  No add a room, screen room, parta potty, TV, A/C or heat!  We truly are a bed on wheels with a galley. OK our galley has the stove and sink, but that is it.    Lisa-  love the "glamping"  that is what those who drag their cottages behind their tow vehicles do!  Vickie
    Vickie, mine came with the screen room, which my friends call The Taj Mahal.  It's pretty impressive with the queen size high mattress in it when I have extra kids and a table.   Other than that, it had nothing when I got it.  Just got the electric installed recently.  Was using an extension cord for my TV before that. Your stove and sink might have me beat.  
    SusieQ
    Charlottesville, VA

• Lisa33Lisa33 Posts: 1,452Member
    I think it was meant more as a compliment than a criticism.  I think teardrops and Airstreams are perceived as "cooler" than the standard RV or pop up.  I saw a description of teardrops as "luxury tents" and I think that sorta fits.  I intentionally chose a teardrop vs any other option because I still want to be camping--not staying in a mobile hotel room.  I am guilty as charged with the bells and whistles, though.  I think a/c is about the only built-in option that I didn't choose. 

We all know that what we have is not your average bear.  The LG truly enhances the camping experience.  I have no regrets about my purchase except my hubby did tell me if I waited a few months I could buy a new one.  I couldn't justify the difference in cost when I came upon this LG that I have now, especially when it was the perfect size for my tow vehicle.  I do take a little ribbing for sleeping in the trailer and putting the kids in the tent.  But I open the door and we are all camping together.  I can even share my TV with them.  I think the only Glam about my camper might be my bedding and it was something I had left over from when my grand daughter was living with me after Katrina. 

The bells and whistles are just plain fun!  Wouldn't it be great if we could all meet sometime?  If anyone is ever interested in an East Coast camp out, let me know.  I'd even be willing to help organize.  I wouldn't be opposed to a mid-country meeting, either.  Can't see me making it out West any time soon, although it's on my buddy's list.

Ready to camp,

SusieQ

SusieQ
    SusieQ
    Charlottesville, VA

Believe me....I made sure I ordered some creature comforts when I had my trailer built and have added others since.  I've just taken some ribbing from some of my younger tent-camping pals for going this route (hence, the defensiveness!). I'm meeting up with Clyde and Linda at some point this year at a campground with shore power (we're all in California, so it's a bit easier to arrange a meet-up) and they're going to show me how great it can be to be able to plug in.  I'm ok with that!  Not sure I'll admit it quite yet to the tent campers in my life, but eventually, I'll probably tell them.  Heck...the thought of being able to use a heating pad once in awhile on my inevitably sore back is very appealing. Still plan on boondocking more often than not, though, just because I have more flexibility in where I go.  I got the trailer mostly because of my back and the desire to have a little more security when I'm out there, and I'm hoping the  conveniences and comforts it offers will help me be out there under the trees and exploring new places for years to come.  By the way, if the timing worked out, I'd be open to meeting up with other forum members -- even if it meant traveling some distance.  Finding a mid-way point sounds pretty appealing.   Cindy

Cindy

Northern California

• deceiverdeceiver Posts: 1,194Member
    I've done a lot of long distance backpacking and lots of tent camping. Older now, and the tear does two important things. Nothing else really matters much.

1. Gets me in a bed onto a mattress.
    2. Gets me in a dry place if it downpours for any length of time.

Sleeping on the ground and sitting in a flooded tent are much overrated.
    Daniel & Joyce Gagner
    2006 6 wide sport platform
    Acton, Maine
    That last line says it all.
    SusieQ
    Charlottesville, VA

Yep

Cindy

Northern California

Ditto!
    edited May 2012
    Where is the "like" button when you need it!? :D

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
    Here are two buttons Mike.. one for like and the other for not like so much... dislike is so negative. This is better I think.

Daniel & Joyce Gagner
    Acton, Maine
    Lol, guys!

Look!  Who knew it was so widespread?  My birthday apparently coincides with National Glamping Weekend.  I think it's a sign.

http://www.nationalglampingweekend.com/

:D Lisa
    Hahaha!  I considered making a facebook page for just for LGers to socialize.  I've started to do it several times and then wondered if I really want the responsibility of moderating a page.  However, if there is enough interest and some others would consider co-moderating, I would give it a shot.

This is a great group.  I'd like to limit it to LG forum users, if possible.  I have a small fear of creepy, stalking, chainsaw carrying people.

Like or Meh?
    SusieQ
    Charlottesville, VA

It actually sounds good Sue. I have a facebook page but rarely use it. Not much of a social networker. I tend to keep my friends close. Within about 100 ft.

It rates a meh + or a Like (-) for me.

I have to tell you that I do own a chainsaw. It's electric though so my stalking is limited to about 100 feet. You wouldn't believe how many people will come within that 100 feet with just a kitkat bar.

>:)
    Daniel & Joyce Gagner
    Acton, Maine
    =))   ^^  at deceiver's chainsaw comment!!!  ^^   =))

Had a good visual on that one for sure!  

Mike
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
    edited May 2012
    Still wondering why you keep all your friends within chainsaw range, Dan? :))

Susie, I like your idea!

I second the FB page for tear-droppers too!  Nice idea!   

Mike
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
    Glamping is a real thing? Wow! Does this mean I'm finally doing something trendy? I'm feeling kinda proud right now. :>)
    SusieQ, I'd help with moderating a Facebook page except I tend to be the one others try to moderate (as may have already become apparent). Also, I am almost functionally illiterate when it comes to social networking in general and Facebook specifically. I can't even insert a decent happy face in my postings. How pathetic am I? Cindy

Cindy

Northern California

SusieQ, Trax, Lisa-  no negativity meant in my comments earlier! I am happy to be off the ground, out of a, sometimes wet, tent.  I love the  "Taj Mahal" and am trying to talk my hubby into getting  something to go over or around our LG.  I am amazed at what some of us "T-droppers" are managing to put in, add on or install in our tiny little trailers!  Heaters, A/C, Tv's stereos, laptops, stoves, sinks, refrigerators, etc, etc, etc!  All the comforts of home! I do take an auto drip coffee maker and sometimes a small microwave...... 

This website lists  Tear Drop Campouts           http://www.teardrops.net/destinations01.html

I didn't take offense at all, Vic. In fact, I thought the whole discussion was really entertaining. And I was serious when I said I'd never heard of glamping. But the concept has kind of grown on me in the past few days and I have now decided to fully embrace it! BTW...I'm heading out on another trip on Monday. Weather reports call for sunny days the whole week I'm out there. Can't wait! Recognizing anyone can read these postings (heck..I did for almost a year before joining), I'll be careful not to reveal too much about where I am while out there, but I look forward to filing a report and pics when I return. Cindy

Cindy

Northern California

Trax, I'm sure you're not headed this way because despite the beautiful weekend we're having, we have rain in the forecast everyday next week. 

Vic, definitely no offense taken here.  After all it's all in fun.  Now that I think about it,  my LG is probably the most glamorous thing about my camping trips.   Certainly no glam for me. Beauty of the outdoors beats glam any day!

Checked out those dates.  Only one remotely close to me would have been last week.  There is a chapter of tearjearkers here, I found it a while back. 

Have a good trip.
    SusieQ
    Charlottesville, VA

I am so jealous of everyone heading out camping (or  glamping :) ).  I've still got a couple of weeks before I can head out!  Vic
  • TABakerTABaker Posts: 21Member

Oh, glamping is a big thing.  Have you visited the Sisters on the Fly webpage?  They're usually in vintage campers, but not always.  Each has a theme and is glamped to the hilt.  www.sistersonthefly.com

I'm part of a glamping FB page, too.  It's fun, and there are some tent campers, as well as teardroppers on there too.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/loyalglamper/

I couldn't resist posting this article up after looking at the tent and flooring in the photo shown below.   Well, I will leave it at that.   :))

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
  • VernaVerna Posts: 2,480Administrator, Moderator
    Mike, I don't care what anyone would think of me.... I could do that trip!!! Of course, I sure could stay at some remote campgrounds and experience a whole lot of other sights, foods, kayaking, etc., for the money it costs. It just sounds like a whole lot more fun than a cruise to me. Knowing me, I'll just keep on camping in my SS and enjoying every minute of it!

Verna

Indianapolis, IN

2011 SS 5x10

If I am going to do something like that I want a log cabin and fireplace too!  Oh, and cold beer too!    :))
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
    Speaking of "Glamping" I happened upon Little Guy's space in their on-line store.  Who knew?  

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
  • VernaVerna Posts: 2,480Administrator, Moderator
    OK, my birthday is the week of the next Tearstock, Rolling Home in August.  Any one wanna chip in on one of those "Roughing it is running out of wine while camping" t-shirts for my present???? ;)

Verna

Indianapolis, IN

2011 SS 5x10

• BlueSchmooBlueSchmoo Posts: 569Member
    They added other new stuff as well including ...Could come in handy for hikes

Wearable Teardrop Trailer Storage Pouch

Keep your important items secure in this wearable teardrop trailer storage pouch. Measuring 6" x 5.5", it features a side storage pouch which is ideal for storing your phone, credit cards and cash. The back of the pouch has a zipper pouch to secure more items. Best of all, it has special clips to attach to your pants or belt

Wendy & Leroy 2013 Silver Shadow 6x10
    2005 Dodge Magnum & 1971 El Camino
    Santa Fe, NM
  • BlueSchmooBlueSchmoo Posts: 569Member
    edited March 6
    Now this is COOL...

Coleman Hot Water On Demand Hose Adapter

So many new things I am having to go through all the categories one by one again

:D
    Wendy & Leroy 2013 Silver Shadow 6x10
    2005 Dodge Magnum & 1971 El Camino
    Santa Fe, NM
    edited March 6
  • pokerpawzpokerpawz Posts: 26Member
    Funny all this talk about glamping so I have to share my thoughts. My 5 kids loved tent camping over the years, but my wife never enjoyed it, in fact rarely went with us. After kids have moved away the teardrop was my hope to get her involved. She loves the outdoors, nature and everything, just not the tent thing.

We have only had the trip coming back from picking up the trailer in Dec and a recent trip to NM, but she really enjoyed it in our LG. We set up a 8' x 8'  portable tent over the entire camper and with the pouring rain one night, we were so happy to be snuggled up, dry, warm, on a comfortable mattress.

And you can't imagine camping in snowy Colorado for 3 nights at Christmas with your grand daughter!! OK, OK....... it was in the garage, but when she asked if we could camp (or glamp) in the LG I could barely hide my excitement !!

Moments to treasure.......