Leaking Doors

Robert_DRobert_D Posts: 45Member
edited August 2011 in Technical & Maintenance
I'm having an issue with leaking doors (maybe window).
The first time I noticed the problem we had just gone through a major storm traveling to the campsite. The mattress and bedding were soaked next to the door. I thought that maybe the window was not pushed down tight in the seal.
I've been very deliberate about making sure the window is closed tight from that time on.
This past weekend we traveled through another storm going to the mountains and to my dismay the mattress and bedding were soaked again.

Has anyone had problems with leaking doors?

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 6,868Administrator, Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Hi Robert,

What I would do is inspect the caulk around the door where it meets the outside walls of your trailer.   I would also check the interior trim seal where the door closes as you might have something loose or the door seal pulled away, etc.  I noticed some water one time in my Rascal 4-wide, so I removed all the bedding, took a hose and sprayed the top of the trailer first, inspected the interior and did find a small amount of water on the interior of the trailer.  After further inspection I found out that the vent seal was bad and ended up replacing the vent and this took care of that particular problem.  

But do remove the mattress and bedding, spray the trailer down good and inspect it from every angle you spray from and I believe you will find the issue quickly.  This is why Little Guy doesn't want these trailers sprayed with a high-pressure power washer because you can easily damage the calk around the edges and also damage rubber gaskets/seals along the windows too.   

Keep us posted and report back on what you find.  

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
  • Robert_DRobert_D Posts: 45Member
    Thanks Mike... I know what the problem is... the doors leak. I'm wanting to know if anyone else has this problem. Is it a chronic problem or am I an isolated case?
    My 5wide is new and I expect LG to fix it under warranty. I have a call into them.
    Bob
  • jerry101jlhjerry101jlh Posts: 1,337Member
    Work that we have needed doing LG has simply asked us to take it to a local shop, have them contact LG for payment info and work done, simple as that. Know of others where things have been handled in the same manner. In some more extreme cases LG has arranged pick up and returned rig to the factory, but think those cases rare.
    Jerry Boerne, Texas 2011 Silver Shadow
  • atacticatactic Posts: 2Member
    I have the same problem with Leaky Doors; it will ruin a nice camping vacation. I purchased a 4 wide Tailgater (circa 2003) about 2 years ago. and found this problem last year as well.

During a normal rainfall, or a heavy thunderstorm all is fine,  While driving during a rainstorm, the doors will leak.

I get more water on the drivers side.

I have sprayed it with a hose to test, and nothing leaks.  All of the seals and calking are in place.

I'm guessing that air pressure associated with highway speeds and passing cars is distorting the cheap plastic guides that hold the windows in place, creating an opening for leaks. 

Any suggestions from Little Guy?

Atactic

Hi Atactic,

I'm sure the door issue is frustrating as my problem with my 2010 5-wide was with a sticky, rubber door molding so it is perplexing when these things occur.   I called Little Guy, the factory sent me out a new gasket for the inside portion of the door but it was actually too large as they were using different doors and the new doors have a larger gasket material along the interior of frame where the door seals against it.  When I would open one door the gasket material had come loose, was sticking to the door and was pulling away.   Since Little Guy no longer had this gasket I was directed to State Wide Aluminum and spoke to Mark Smagala and eventually he sent me out the correct seal for the door.

I would recommend that you call the Little Guy Factory direct at 330-852-4811 and ask for the shop manager, Joe Mullett as he handles all warranty work and is very helpful.   
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
  • ndharleyboyndharleyboy Posts: 3Member
    My Joey that I pull behind my Goldwing leaked as well in both doors when riding through a rain storm.  I got a hardsided camper to avoid any water issues and am disappointed that it sucks water in while on the road.  I will have to call these boys.  Otherwise, a fun way to get out.
    Driving up to LG tomorrow morning to have my doors replaced. Joe told me there was a batch of doors that were bad last year - didn't fit right in the frame. 
    I opted to go up there and have them do it; I'll know it's done right.
    It is nice to hear when LG makes right on something. On some forums all I see are problems and the manufacturers doing nothing.
  • gtrackeygtrackey Posts: 7Member
    I have a 2008 4 wide retro and the doors leek when on the highway.  no leaks when parked
    edited September 2011
    For any warranty work or issues such as leaks, etc. contact Little Guy as they should be able to help you resolve your issues.   The factory handles their warranty work and should also be able to help you out with a workable solution.  Here's a link with some numbers and I would ask for Joe Mullett at the factory as Joe is knowledgeable and knows these trailers inside out:

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2014 Silver Shadow 5 x10 
    Attached Image
    Drove up to the factory early Tuesday morning and had both doors replaced. They did a great job. After installing the doors they rolled it outside and took a hose to it... no leaks. I'm VERY pleased!
    Happy that they took care of you and got the leaks fixed.
    Drove down to Edisto Beach this afternoon through a rain storm and nary a leak. This was the first rain with the new doors; I'm VERY pleased.
  • turtlexturtlex Posts: 12Member
    Robert - You said that LG said they had a bad batch of doors ... can you tell me on what year model the doors might have been installed on? What year/model LG to you have?

I just purchased a 2011, and I'm a little concerned.

Thanks in advance.
    They were prior to the 2011 models. We have a 2011 SS and no leak problems what so ever.
  • turtlexturtlex Posts: 12Member
    Awesome! Thanks so much!
    We have a 2011 five wide that was build in 12/10
  • adam_engleadam_engle Posts: 30Member
    I know I'm replying to an old thread, but I recently solved (hopefully) my leaking door problem.  My mattress used to get soaked after a hard rain so I did the "hammering on the channel surrounding the glass trick".  It didn't seem to solve the problem entirely so I did some investigating.  I noticed the (2) channels at the bottom of the window - (1) where the glass fits into and (1) where the screen fits into.  The outside one has (2) drain holes whereas the inside one does not and when a lot of water would get into the outside channel and not drain out fast enough, it overflowed into the inside channel and had nowhere to go except wick up into my mattress.  What I did to fix it was take the largest drill bit that will fit into the drain holes and drill a series of small holes into that center divider flange from the outside of the door.  I drilled about (5) in each and so far whenever water gets into these channels, it drains out and doesn't sit in there long enough to soak into the mattress or even leak out from inside the frame.  Hope this helps.
    Cleveland, Ohio