Bearing Lubrication Tips

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,684Member
edited October 2015 in Technical & Maintenance
I know we have discussed some of this information in out tire standards discussion, but I am in the process of lubricating the bearings on my 5-wide trailer in the hope of eliminating some issues "down the road" if you will.  How about that play on words!  ;-)   Anyway, I will certainly post up more information, along with some photographs as this is an area that most of us neglect, possibly take for granted and don't really know enough background knowledge about properly mainting of wheel bearings as it relates to lubricating our Little Guy trailers or any trailer for that matter.  

What I have found out as a certainty and that is good to know for all owners out there is that the lug nuts on my 5-wide are 3/4" lug nuts.   What you should also do before any road trip is check these lug nuts, not just for proper tension or tightness, but make sure that your lug wrench fits over the nuts and into the recessed area of your trailer.   Otherwise you are going to be out in the boondocks and literally up a creek without the proper sized wrench to change out a tire, etc.   

Another thing that I found out tonight was that one side of the axle (at the grease fitting) did not have a grease insert on the axle.   And incidentally, the grease Zerk fittings on my 5-wide were located on the end of the axle.  Some grease Zerk fittings I have seen are located on the side of the axle bearing housing.  This is not the case with my 5-wide as you do have to remove the tire, remove the bearing cup cover and underneath the cover you will find the grease Zerks which I feel are very convenient over all.   As for the missing grease Zerk, I will pick one up at Autozone in the morning and finish the job.  This is also not Little Guy's fault, as some of the axle units do have grease inserts available and others don't. the manufacturer prefers that you completely wash and clean the bearings, inspect them, and repack them as opposed to using the grease Zerks. If you do pump grease into the Zerks you want to spin the axle hub by hand and pump grease in while turning the hub to disperse the grease.
Mike Smith
Linden, Michigan  
2015 T@B Max S
2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
Attached Image

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,684Member
    edited June 2014
    Unfortunately on my 5-wide you do have to remove the wheel because they are custom chrome wheels with a silver cup over the wheel bearing cup.  I know on the old snowmobile trailers the cup was right on the outside of the wheel and easily accessible.   Not these wheels....  But looking at the SS you might be in luck as you have the baby moon hubcaps.   Remove one of the hubcaps and check it out.  

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • dclkal0626dclkal0626 Posts: 29Member
    What year is your 5-wide?  Bear
    My 5-wide is a 2010 model....  

Mike
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
    edited October 2015
    Interesting morning to say the least.  I figured I would get the bearing grease job completed and believed it would be about a half hour job once I found the grease zerk.   So much for that plan!   I drove up to Autozone, picked up an assortment of grease zerks as they sold them in bulk for about $3.50 for a pack of about 12 miscellaneous fittings.   I'm thinking, "cool, you have what you need and parts to spare!"   I opened the package and began what I felt would be a short fit and match process and low and behold, none of the zerks were the correct size!   It was warm outside, so I decided to jack up the other (completed) side and remove the zerk fitting and use this as a reference.   Drove up to the local hardware and lawn repair shop and after about 15 minutes, found the correct zerk and headed home with my $1.25 part.  From there things went well, I was able to get the new zerk fitting in, grease the bearings, re-install the bearing cup and mounted the tire.   Same thing again but on the good, completed side, put my tools away and then headed off to my uncle's 90th birthday party. 

One suggestion I will make on the lug wrench, take a roll of electrical tape and make a couple of wraps (single wrap) around the correct size lug end of wrench as this will save you some time trying to figure out the right wrench size to place back onto the lug nuts.  It's a visual reminder only but does simplify things when you set the wrench down for a second, go to pick it back up and are installing the next lug nut on the wheel lugs.
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • RangerVicRangerVic Posts: 113Member
    According to the owners manual and the manual for the axle, these bearings should be greased once a year. Sounds like you had a lot of fun with yours, Mike! Can't wait for MineralMike to do ours!
    edited August 2011
    Good point Vickie and as a rule of thumb too they should be greased every 10,000 miles (or 1 year).   If you have the Silver Shadow unit and the baby moon tires you also can check for heat on the bearing cover.  But with some of the other units such as on my 5-wide, touching the cup on the wheel won't tell you much because it is part of the custom wheel on the unit and doesn't come into contact with the bearing cover.  

Mike
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • PalmettosPalmettos Posts: 74Member
    Great tech tip, Mike!  I bought a grease gun loaded with Lucas wheel bearing grease - my SS bearings each took SEVENTEEN pumps!  My advice to all LG owners is to get this checked - surprised the heck out of me and it could have caused a catastrophic bearing failure.
  • Time_Out1Time_Out1 Posts: 473Member
    Am I right in assuming that the little threaded hole in the center of the axle is where a zerk fitting is supposed to be installed? Mine didn't have a fitting on either end. In the photos, you can see where the grease has oozed back out of the hole (apparently) after the zerk fitting was removed. They don't seem to know much about installing cotter pins either!

It looks like I'll have to try to find the correct size zerk fitting also. Is the axle cross drilled to allow the grease to be forced through the rollers of the bearing? Will there be room under the cap to leave the grease fitting in place? Anyway, here are three pictures to show what my axles look like.

Clyde
    Clyde and Linda Ramstead Squaw Valley, CA
    Black/Silver (2011) 6 Wide - Riverside White Water RETRO 150 (2014) 
    "I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down"
  • jerry101jlhjerry101jlh Posts: 1,266Member
    You guys keep adding to my maintenance list, thanks a whole bunch lol Well we have one more trip this year, then down time and maybe the best time to take care of tire and wheel issues. I may make fun of the adding to the list, but all good info on things I really hadn't considered.
    Jerry Boerne, Texas 2011 Silver Shadow
  • PalmettosPalmettos Posts: 74Member
    Wow, Clyde - Hard to see if your axle is the kind with a zerk in the center or not.  Is the hole threaded?  Its possible that you have an axle with a non-functional hole in the center, in which case, no problem - but you may need to remove the bearing and repack it manually.  Mine has a two piece exterior cap - metal with a rubber center that is removed and the zerk fitting is under it, providing easy access for greasing.

Jim
    edited October 2011
    Clyde,

The Zerk does go in the threaded hole and here is a shot of my hub assembly.   I'm sure that these are pre-purchased assemblies that LG buys from a dealer or probably buys the trailer frame with axle assembly and then builds the trailer on top of the trailer bed assembly.  Finding the correct zerk size is going to be the trick as I had purchased an assortment of zerk fittings from Auto Zone and none of them fit correctly.   If there is a way to thread a screw into the hole to determine the zerk thread size, that would be the ticket as otherwise you are going to be pulling your hair out.

You will have plenty of clearance to install the cap back on after you install the zerk fitting and perform the lubrication.

Mike

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
    Thanks guys for the information. I have a shop full of screws and bolts, so I should be able to arrive at a diameter and TPI.

Mike, this is going to sound like a 'goofy' question, but what program do you use to add the 'red' arrow and typing on your image? I do a lot of post processing, but most of it is done using Adobe Lightroom. Lightroom doesn't have tools to overlay symbols and such on an image. We do have some of the latest PS Elements and even CS5, but I haven't really gotten into them yet. Perhaps you are using something even simpler!

How many fish did you catch today?

Clyde
    "I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down"
    Clyde,

If you would, post the size of the Zerk needed here and maybe we can help someone else down the road should they find a missing Zerk on their trailer.  I should have done that earlier as I had one installed on one side, unscrewed the existing Zerk and took it to Auto Zone where they sized it for me and I was on my way with a new fitting.  

I'm using a free, "cheap & dirty" program called Photo Filtre and have used this program for quite a few years for simple tasks and even tweaking my photos.  It's a decent program and easy to use and has some features that make it very uncomplicated.  

I didn't do too well fishing and caught one bass.   But it was nice just to get out in the sunshine.

Mike
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
    I went to our local Ace Hardware and bought several sets of Zerk fittings in various sizes. I pulled the wheels off the trailer this morning to have a go at it. I have no idea how many variations of axles are out there on the LG trailers, but the proper Zerk fittings for our 2011 6 wide are:

Straight 1/4" - 28 threads per inch (short thread) Zerk. You will probably run across the same size Zerk with long threads. You don't want those as they seem to bottom out before seating properly.

As for filling the bearing with grease - I use a small grease gun that you squeeze with one hand and it took 35 pumps before I saw any grease working it's way out the front of the axle.

Clyde
    Thanks Clyde and GREAT information!   This will be helpful to others down the road who encounter this problem.   It's probably something that LG needs to address with their distributor as it sounds like there might be others out there with the same issue.

Mike
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • akula1akula1 Posts: 247Member
    I have zerk fitting on my 2011 SS. I just checked my greasing, and was wondering how ofter should I replace the bearings? How often should I rebuild them and repack them?
    John S Former 2011 Silver Shadow 5X10 owner, Chandler, Az Let the good times roll!
    Did the SS have the fittings from the factory or did you add them?
  • akula1akula1 Posts: 247Member
    The SS came that way from the factory.
    John S Former 2011 Silver Shadow 5X10 owner, Chandler, Az Let the good times roll!
    Then I might get lucky, unlike some others on here, and already have them in place. Thanks!
    Here is a video I found on-line that might be helpful and is pretty informative.  One thing to keep in mind here or when removing the cotter key, is to install a new cotter key.  They are cheap and available at the auto stores in most areas and you just never know how many times they have previously been removed and re-installed.  If you bend them enough and re-install them you do risk having them come loose during travel which could be catastrophic.  

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • VernaVerna Posts: 3,855Member

I've got a better idea.....I just ask my mechanic neighbor and he takes care of that greasy job for me :))

I told him I' loved him in front of his wife!!!!  (She understands.)

Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana; 2014 T@B S M@X, white/red, HOOSIER T@B; towed by 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; LG/T@B Admin/Moderator

Gotta love those helpful neighbors!  I do the same for the lady next door as her and her daughters are always in need of some help or helpful advice about her pontoon boat or something mechanical.  That's what good neighbors do anyway.  
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • JayceeJaycee Posts: 129Member

Yes the world revolves on good friends and nieghbours helping hands..there is always something someone can do to help someone even if its just a little positive support and some homemade baked thank you. The value of knowledge to check those bearing and change or grease them is something that every trailer owner should be aware of or reminded of as ususal a knowledge shared here is great thanks.

Jayce and LG Percy

• crooks420crooks420 Posts: 208Member

Hey, Michigan_Mike,

How about putting a little grease in your lug nuts..... those threads look awful dry and rusty.....

Jesse

Jesse

2008 lifted 4-wide

San Gabriel, CA.

• deceiverdeceiver Posts: 1,192Member
    The fitting is a good idea too for when you travel a lot. While on the road I was able to stop at any Auto tire place and for a few bucks they'd pop the cap and put a few squirts of grease in right in the parking lot. Little guy used to recommend every 2000 miles. On one trip I had to do it 4 times. And that was about every 3000 miles. You could also bring your own grease gun but messy while traveling. 
    Daniel & Joyce Gagner 2006 6 wide sport platform Acton, Maine
  • Lisa33Lisa33 Posts: 1,781Member
    I don't ever want to do this. Lol. Looks messy and frustrating! Luckily my local LG dealer is a mechanic. I had no idea it was necessary. This underscores why the Little Guy's are badly in need of some sort of owners manual. How are we supposed to know this stuff? :) Lisa
    Southeastern PA 2008 T@DA (and, previously a 2012 6x10 SIlver Shadow)
  • SusieQSusieQ Posts: 1,847Member
    Lisa, if you have zerks, it's no problem.  Believe me, you could do it in 10 minutes.  But I agree that they need an owners manual. 

The 2000 miles was after an email inquiry to LG about two years ago. I think that any utility trailer would be pretty much the same.

And Lisa, Clean grease is a beautiful thing. It gets between two pieces of metal and the metal to metal never touch. No touching, no wear. That's beautiful. Oil in the car does the same thing. But, when it gets dirty, metal particles get in it and the grease becomes less effective. We repack wheel bearings by cleaning them thoroughly and packing them with new grease. With the hollow areas and zerk fittings on some of our trailers, the grease actually works it's way out of the bearings over time and we replace it with new grease. Each of my bearing chambers holds about half a tube of grease from the grease gun.  My grease gun cylinders are about the size of a caulking gun refill.

Remember "Grease, it's a beautiful thing".   
    :x
  • puppypuppy Posts: 325Member
    Thanks for that video Mike. I installed the zerks last year but after watching video you have inspired me to pack them by hand and do it while I Winterize this Fall.  Thanks,  Gary
  • VernaVerna Posts: 3,855Member

Lisa, nitrile rubber gloves are a wonderful invention!!!  Those are the blue ones you can get at Menard's or Harbor Freight or Lowe's.  They're a bit heavier than the old latex type. 

They're inexpensive enough that if it takes two pair to do a greasy job, that you don't mind using two pair.

A very handy thing to keep in the LG, too, for whatever you don't want to put your bare hands on.

And, my mechanic neighbor uses purple nitrile rubber gloves when he works on his cars. 

Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana; 2014 T@B S M@X, white/red, HOOSIER T@B; towed by 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; LG/T@B Admin/Moderator

• marlinpricemarlinprice Posts: 43Member
    Just my experience... I bought new tires before a trip to Alaska, bought bias radials instead of steel belted (that's another story) but had to replace them before getting back home...all the tread wore off!!  Anyway, when the Tire store (Schaub in Washington State) were replacing the tires, they said the bearings were loose causing a little tire wobble.  They repacked the bearings for me.  Cost $69.00.  Put in new seals.

I talked with a guy in the shop that did it and he sounded very knowledgeable. Said the bearings are cleaned out,  repacked with grease and the new seals are inserted.  The seals usually prevent new grease inserted through the zerts from entering the actual bearings.  He said most axles only allow grease to get to the first bearing, but the Little Guy axle was good because it actually had been drilled so the grease goes into several places. Lubes both bearings on each side.  The grease we are able to get into the zert just greases the axle and exterior of the bearing.  He said the bearings should be cleaned and repacked annually if you do a lot of pulling.  When you put new grease into the zert, it should only be 2-3 pumps as you risk hydraulically blowing out the seals on the bearings if you do much more.  Also need to use a high temp wheel bearing grease.  And that putting grease into the zerts should not be considered a replacement for doing a full bearing clean, repack and new seals every so often. 

I don't actually know from squat, but this guys clearly know what he was doing.  Hope this helps.

Marlin
    Marlin Price
    Coppell, Texas 
    edited August 2012
    Well Marlin, that all makes good sense. They guy certainly seems like he know what he's doing. I've taken mine apart and I don't have seals. I'm assuming it's the standard way of doing it at LG back in 2006 when mine was made. I purchased it new/used. The people who owned it had used it for a couple hundred miles and the tires were new and original so they never had bearing changed out or altered.

I've been wondering. What can  we expect to get out of a set of tires on these things? Under good conditions, assuming regular road driving and the tires are maintained with air etc. What are these tire rated for mileage?

edited August 2012
    I just looked online and found this from a tire company 12,000 miles is maximum expected mileage. I'm about 2,000 over that. I guess it may be time for a change.
    I tried to post this as an edit to my previous post and a message came up that my post was 691 characters to long.

It still didn't like it so I took a snapshot of it and posted it as a jpg.

Some good info Marlin, thanks for sharing it....  I am going to look into new tires as I have one wearing rather thin.  I will be rolling the dice to drive it all the way back to Michigan and intended on having new tires installed, but they were out of stock! 
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • BobertBobert Posts: 1Member
    Hi…Interesting conversation on the trailer’s axel. This axel is a good one designed for boats but are fine for this application. They are submerged underwater to remove the boat from the trailer. The grease fitting at the end of the axel is to lub the rear wheel seal and keep water out. I do make river crossings with my jeep so the added protection is just right. If you keep your trailer on dry land it is not necessary to have the grease fittings in the axel. To grease the wheel bearings you must disassemble the axel bearings and pack them even if you have the grease fittings. If you wish to use the grease fitting I suggest you change rims with open hubs which you can purchase from a boat dealer so you will be able to service them.
    edited August 2013
    There is certainly a wealth of information out there via YouTube and your suggestions and input are well taken and appreciated Neil, as I know that everyone does it differently too.   

I think the message that needs to be sent to all owners or potential future owners for wheel bearings and for me personally is that "proper routine maintenance and inspection" is critical and it's important that people take the time to inspect the bearings or have a qualified mechanic service the bearings of your unit at the prescribed intervals noted in both the Little Guy and T@B owners manuals that are located here on the forum on the front page of the Technical discussion area.   I experienced bearing failure and spindle damage therein when I was over 2000 miles out and away from my home base here in Michigan.  That experience was not fun, was a bit scary and thanks to Joe Kickos and others within the Little Guy organization I was able to restore things back to normal via their networking and generosity therein.   

Some quick hitters for new members and owners regarding bearings and axle components:

• Take the time to read the owners manual and have your bearings inspected, cleaned and serviced as needed and as recommended.  
    • Lubricate the bearings every 6000 miles.
    • DO NOT MIX LITHIUM, CALCIUM, SODIUM, OR BARIUM COMPLEX GREASES DUE TO POTENTIAL COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS. WHEN CHANGING FROM ONE TYPE OF GREASE TO ANOTHER, IT IS NECESSARY TO INSURE THAT ALL OF THE OLD GREASE HAS BEEN REMOVED.

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • IronshadowIronshadow Posts: 18Member
    edited September 2013

I pulled the wheels/hubs off of the LG today. Was planning to re-pack the bearing and replacing the seals. The trailer is a 2009 with about 20,000 miles on it. The first "red flag' was the color of the grease. It was already starting to turn grey. Which means that there is wear on the bearings and races. That was soon confirmed after I cleaned them up. I could see visible wear on the races. I went to a local supplier and they did not have the bearings I needed. So I came home and placed an order with etrailer.com.  Great price! I have already received notice that they shipped. For a total of $24.89. Including shipping. I don't think I will ever repack bearing again! I think I will just keep them well greased with the zerk on the spindle. Then at the next 20,000 miles I will replaced them. I will also be using Lucas Red 'N' Tacky Grease.

imageBearing Kit, L44649 Inner/Outer Bearings, 10-60   Seal

2 x 

$9.95=

$19.90

Glenn
    South Dakota
    2009 5-Wide Little Guy
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Posts: 242Member
    Mike - I, of course, read this statement in my owner's manual and the question that came to my mind is, "Which type of grease do they come packed in?"  The manual does not say, so when I grease, what type should I use so as not to mix types? DO NOT MIX LITHIUM, CALCIUM, SODIUM, OR BARIUM COMPLEX GREASES DUE TO POTENTIAL COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS. WHEN CHANGING FROM ONE TYPE OF GREASE TO ANOTHER, IT IS NECESSARY TO INSURE THAT ALL OF THE OLD GREASE HAS BEEN REMOVED.

Larry & Booger (My dog)

2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

HAPPY TRAILS Y'ALL

edited October 2015
    Bearing Grease Recommendations:  

As for grease, ALKO recommends that you use a high temperature, automotive type wheel bearing grease produced by a reputable manufacturer. The soap type should be lithium complex or equivalent. Use NLGI Grade 2 product with a minimum dropping point of 440 F.

Little Guy changed axle distributors earlier this year and are now using  Dexter Axles on their units.   

Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Posts: 242Member
    Mike - I tried to start a new discussion on the T@B Forum regarding axles and bearing grease, but for some reason the computer keeps locking up when I go to the "Start New Discussion" area.  Don't know if it's just my computer or the site.  Anyway, I checked my bearings today and discovered that the axle is neither an AL-KO nor a Dexter.  It was manufactured by Axletech, dated 2011. (The trailer is a 2013 model.)  I searched Axletech's web site and could not find my particular model, but after watching the Dexter video you posted, I discovered my setup is similar to it.  Everything checked out fine on mine, but wanted you to know that there is another brand of axle being used on the T@b.

Larry & Booger (My dog)

2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

HAPPY TRAILS Y'ALL

Hi Larry,

Little Guy changed distributors earlier this year and all of their axles are now supplied by Dexter axle company.  I can't explain your situation and maybe it was a purchase for need of parts or something along those lines?   But am glad you were able to service the axle and that things worked out!  
    Mike Smith
    Linden, Michigan  
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image